At the beginning of the 20th century, the Prussian State acquired a number of large fields in the northern Ruhr area. AG Recklinghausen, in which the majority stake was held by the state, began drilling the first wells starting in 1902. The mine went into operation in 1910. In addition, a coke plant was put into operation in 1912. The mine developed economically in a promising manner. As early as 1920, the limit of 1 million tonnes of annual production was exceeded. At the end of the 1920s, the mine was acquired for the first time and thus came into the full ownership of Hibernia AG. Numerous expansions and modernizations of the mining company followed.
The continuous warfare caused operations to come to a standstill halfway through World War II. After the Second World War, Hibernia AG began an extensive modernization program, which led to the construction of this new central transport shaft in 1956, equipped with two fully automatic conveyors. The concrete hoisting tower, built in 1960, was put into operation in 1961. Extensive rationalization measures led to an annual production of more than 3 million tonnes. From the late 1960s onwards, several acquisitions and mergers followed once again. At the end of 2008, the coal mine was closed with the extraction of the last coal. The mine has been fully preserved to this day and was even declared a monument.
You can not copy the content of this page.
