On the site where we find this remarkable Neo-Gothic church today, there formerly stood a dilapidated medieval church dating back to the 13th century, which was known as Sancta Catharina from 1340 onwards. Throughout history, the unfortunate church fell victim to acts of war, looting, and fires on numerous occasions... In the mid-19th century, it was decided to demolish the existing buildings and build a new church in their place.
The current Neo-Gothic church, designed by architect Pierre Cuypers, was built between 1861 and 1867. The most striking feature of the church is its two towers, both 73 meters high and inspired by the cathedral of Chartres (France).
Inside the church, we find two organs. The most impressive of the two is the large organ on the choir loft (photo 5), which, with 5,723 pipes, is one of the largest Dutch organs. This organ was built by the firm Verschueren, a well-known family of organ builders. The second organ is located near the sacristy and is a smaller Neo-Gothic altar organ (photos 6 and 7).
You can not copy the content of this page.
