Prison H7 was the 'dungeon' of the Leopold Barracks in Ghent. The buildings were constructed in an eclectic style between 1890 and 1905, based on a design by architects de Noyette and Geerling. All in all, the barracks cover an area of over 2 hectares and could house some 1,300 soldiers.
On October 1, 1907, the 2nd Line Regiment took up residence in the barracks. During both World Wars, the barracks were occupied by German troops. After the liberation, the 2nd Line Regiment did not return to its barracks. From 1955, the barracks were staffed by the Health Service Centre. The Training Centre provided training for the officers and stretcher bearers of the Health Service.
Following restructuring of the armed forces, several buildings were sold to the City of Ghent. Since 2007, the City has housed the Higher Institute for Fine Arts there. Other parts of the barracks are still owned by the Belgian Army. In mid-March 2019, conversion works began that aim to transform the barracks into a sustainable urban neighborhood where living, working, and recreation meet.
You can not copy the content of this page.
