The earliest history of this former paper mill dates back to the end of the 14th century, when the watermill is first mentioned, although it was not until the end of the 16th century that a paper watermill was first mentioned.
The paper industry really took off here when Ferdinand de Meurs took over the paper mill from his father-in-law. Under his auspices, the factory boomed, and expansions and modifications to the factory and its infrastructure soon followed. When Ferdinand died in 1879, his son Gustaaf took over the factory. The factory (and other paper mills in the area) remained in the family until 1970.
In recent years, the factory was operated by the Walloon company Catala, until its closure in 2003. Virtually nothing remains of the paper processing facilities, and of the buildings, only the central section, including the large production hall, the Manchester Tower, the drying shed, and the water tower, remain. The remainder was demolished to develop a new industrial estate. The De Meurs family home, with the foreman's house next to it and connected to it, were also more or less preserved.
You can not copy the content of this page.
