After the old courthouse burned down completely at the end of the First World War, the need arose to build a new courthouse. It was not until the mid-1920s that concrete plans for the new building emerged. The city council launched a competition, in which the Brussels architect Jerôme Vermeersch was selected as the winner. In 1934, Vermeersch was allowed to start construction of the courthouse. However, due to financial considerations, he had to execute the design in a 'more austere' manner than originally envisioned. The planned corner tower was constructed smaller and fitted with a pear-shaped spire.
For the interior, Vermeersch opted resolutely for the Art Deco style. The building was completed and put into use in 1936. Over time, the courthouse became too small, and after it was classified as a monument in 2008, construction began on a new courthouse at a different location. The old courthouse was vacated in 2011. It has since been sold to a property developer who will realize a new residential project within it, taking its heritage value into account.
You can not copy the content of this page.
