Construction of this hospital began in the spring of 1905. The official opening took place a year later. Due to a particularly large number of cases of meningitis in the area, operations began several months earlier, in early January 1906. At this time, the hospital was not yet completed. The hospital later specialized in dermatology, plastic surgery, rheumatology, and coloproctology (rectal disorders). Occupational therapy, naturopathy, physiotherapy, pain management, social services, and wound treatment were also offered.
In 2011, the majority of the shares were acquired by an investment group. As part of the economic renovation, the hospital was closed. The most recently specialized departments were transferred to a nearby hospital belonging to the same group in July 2013. The empty building fell back partly to the city and partly to the diocese.
In the summer of 2014, the building was put into use as emergency accommodation for asylum seekers. Just a year and a half later, the asylum seekers were expelled from the hospital. Subsequently, the plan was to demolish part of the hospital and build offices or apartment buildings on the site, while converting the rest of the building into a kindergarten. In November 2018, it was announced that the former hospital would become the construction site for a new residential area. Approximately 350 new apartments will be built on the 45,000-square-meter site.
You can not copy the content of this page.
