Excavation work for the first shaft of this Zeche began in August 1856, and in 1860 the coal heaps were reached at a depth of 175.9 m. Production began in 1863 with 315 workers.
With the economic boom of the early 1870s, the digging of shaft 2 began. Production from this shaft started in 1875. As early as 1890, 1 million tonnes of coal were extracted. This was followed by the digging of three additional shafts. The mines had a significant demand for workers. Consequently, the population increased rapidly. Many Polish miners settled and worked at this mining site. The highest workforce was reached in 1922 with 15,000 workers and employees.
This Zeche was the last active coal mine in the German Ruhr area from December 2015, until it closed its doors for good three years later, in December 2018. Part of the buildings have since been renovated and are being reused for cultural activities. Another part was demolished.
You can not copy the content of this page.
